Guidance for acute respiratory infections prevention
caused by Novel Corona virus (COVID-19) at workplace
(Not apply to health facilities)
(Enclosed with official document No. ... dated ... February 2020 of the Ministry of Health)
1. General information:
- Acute respiratory infection caused by COVID-19 is an acute infectious disease of group A;
- Patients with symptoms of acute respiratory infection (fever, cough, shortness of breath, severe cases of pneumonia) which can lead to acute respiratory failure and risk of death, especially people with chronic medical conditions;
- Some people infected with COVID-19 may have mild clinical presentation with no clear symptoms, which makes it difficult to detect;
- So far, there is no specific treatment and preventive vaccines .
2. Recommendations for employees:
- Practise personal hygiene, regularly wash hands with soap and clean water for at least 20 seconds. In the absence of soap and clean water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol);
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing with your elbow, cloth or handkerchief, or tissue to reduce the release of respiratory secretions into the air. Wash handkerchief or immediately put tissue into the trash after use and wash your hands;
- Maintain healthy habits such as exercise between work shifts, be physically active, eat hygienically, adequately, keep your nose and throat warm, and improve health condition;
- Limit contact with people with acute respiratory illness (fever, cough, shortness of breath), in case of necessity: wear a medical mask properly and maintain social distancing.
- If you or a co-worker have signs of fever, cough, shortness of breath, etc., it is necessary to notify the employer or health worker at the workplace for advice, isolation and timely treatment.
3. Recommendations for employers:
- Arrange hand-washing area with clean water and soap or provide alcohol-based hand hygiene products (at least 60% alcohol);
- Maintain clean enviroment, regularly clean the floor and disinfect surfaces of work items that may have viruses, such as door handles, elevator buttons, shared phones, computer keyboards, table tops, ... with common detergents such as soap and other common disinfectant solutions;
- Ensure good ventilation, enhance natural ventilation at the workplace;
- Introduce regulations and instructions for workers on how to protect themselves and to fully comply with the recommendations of the Ministry of Health when they have signs of illness or contact with suspects. Set up a mechanism to allow workers to work at home or arrange flexible shifts for suspected cases (if possible);
- The occupational and work facilities (with reception oraviation, customs, banks, service sectors, etc) which contact with many people, need to provide and guide the proper use of masks for workers and consider installing, placing glass partition systems in transaction areas;
- In case of suspicion of disease, isolation should be carried out immediately and notify the local health authorities (via hotline 1900 3228 or 1900 9095).